Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Dang You, T9

I don't have a smart phone - still.  This means my phone texts are with the T9, or predictive text, option turned on.  If a set of numbers spells more than one word, my phone picks one unless I specify otherwise.  For instance, the words ME and OF use the same keys.  If I don't proofread, I might send a message saying something like, "Will you email of the notes from class today."  I've learned to proofread all my texts carefully.  I usually discover these fun little word swaps on accident, mostly by texting someone and them responding with a "HUH???"

Just a few examples:
ME/OF
IF/HE
EAT/FAT
HOME/GOOD/GONE
MOVIES/MOTHER
SPICY/PSHAW (pshaw?  Really, T9???)
ANOTHER/COOTIES (Yep, and somehow the default is 'cooties'.) 

Now, there is a fantastic hike in Georgia, one of my favorites, called Panther's Creek.  I told a friend about it and he was very interested in going.  We decided on a weekend and I went to text him the details of the hike.  I bet you didn't know this, and I obviously didn't, but the word 'panther' uses the same keys on my phone as 'panties'.  Oh yeah, you see where this is going.

Me: okay, hiking this weekend, panties creek
He: Panties Creek, huh.  Sounds like there will be hiking one way or another: either we hike it, or it hikes us...

Thank you, T9, for cooties embarrassing text.

6 comments:

Krista said...

Laughed out loud!! Hahaha, great story. I also have a love/hate relationship with auto correct. That's right, the fun isn't over just because you have a smart phone. Love you Charlotte!

Lauren said...

haha. That's hilarious. You're a step above me...I don't have a cell phone?!

Melissa and Dave said...

so funny! Lauren, I am jealous.

Beth said...

I enjoy reading some of the crazy mixed-up texts I receive. What I don’t like is having to proof-read my own. Texting is supposed to be a quick and easy way to communicate!
What guy wouldn’t enjoy a hike to “panties” creek? ;)

Bone said...

Oh, the memories that must have been made up on panties creek.

Good stuff. My friend just got his first cell phone a couple of weeks ago. He couldn't figure out how to get the 2 key to make a B. Then he was asking me how to make an exclamation point. I want to tell him that once he starts texting, he'll never really want to actually "talk" to anyone again. But I suppose he has to learn for himself.

gokiburijin said...

Panther Creek is my favorite hike also!!!!